Running in circles, otherwise known as
"Wasting a bunch of energy just to stay in the same place"
My mother is a great person, and I love her to death. However, there are some things she does that I don't agree with. My mother has this phobia of being just like her mother. It's a fear that drives her to her core and she expresses it in so many ways. One of these acts of fear that has the tendency to repeat itself is fleeing. The day she turned 18 she packed her stuff up from a small house in Notarealcity and moved straight to Noneofthesecitiesarereal in Georgia. Yet, that plan blew up in her face. Everything went bad after a while, and she had to move back with 2 kids and one on the way. For a while everything was okay, but then all Hell broke loose. My older sister went through her rebellion stage, and my mom and my grandmother kept arguing until we moved out again. Just this time we stayed a little closer. We stayed in the same predicament that we started in for a long time.
With all this happening my mother still couldn't understand how to deal with her fear. Because no matter how far she ran, she kept coming closer and closer to her fear. She was becoming her mother, a bitter lonely woman who had nothing better to do than complain about how everyone else was doing something wrong. I didn't understand why she was upset till the day she told me. In a twisted mindset I did the unthinkable. I told my grandmother that she was the very reason her child was upset, She cried. Then I asked her, no begged her, to talk it out with her daughter and she never did. She simply could not comprehend the fact that it was her fault. Because of her stubbornness neither of them really get along to this day. When they are around each other they act like they get along, but it is all a charade, and I can feel the tension. I just want everyone to be happy for once. From my family's mistakes I learned never to run from you fears. Sadly I never learned the outcome of confronting them head on either.
I say don't give up, sooner than later their going to relize that them fighting doesn't just affect them it effects you too!
ReplyDeleteThis story was a little sad, yet inspiring me to get on better terms with not just my mom, but my whole family and friends.
ReplyDeleteIf you want, I can play Dr. Phil and we can all get your family together and have an intervention. c: ...On a more serious note, we all know how I complain about my mom a lot, and it's weird because she says the same thing about "becoming like her mother." I wonder if this is an endless and inescapable cycle that will continue for all eternity. O.o
ReplyDelete